What to do when the burner won't start!
Emergency service calls can often be avoided with a few easy diagnostic procedures that may solve your heating problems.
- Check the switch! Usually located at the top of the cellar stairs with a red cover. Make sure it is on. There should also be a service switch located on the heating appliance.
- Check for blown or loose fuses, or tripped circuit breakers.
- Check the thermostat. Make sure it is set higher than the room temperature. Make sure it is calling for HEAT.
- Check the fuel gauge on the oil tank. Gauges can stick so tap the gauge or the side of the tank to ensure an accurate reading.
- Steam systems only: Check the water level in the sight glass. Make sure the glass is at least half-full. Add water slowly if needed.
- Smoke in the basement? Locate and turn off the emergency switch ASAP. Call your serviceman.
- Whole house attic fans can pull smoke/fumes down the chimney if there is not sufficient ventilation in the house. Use caution!
- Install a quality smoke detector in the vicinity of your oil heat equipment.
- Locate and push the reset button (usually located on the oil burner). Reset one time only!